The functions of your heart and lungs are at the center of your health. At Ashe Memorial Hospital, our respiratory care practitioners are on call round the clock to assess and treat heart and lung problems.
Ashe Memorial Hospital has the most advanced tests available to identify heart and lung problems, including:
- Electrocardiograms (EKGs) record the heart's electrical patterns to evaluate heart rate and rhythm. It is often used to identify past heart damage and heart attacks as they occur.
- Cardiac stress testing combines an EKG with exercise to see how the heart functions during physical activity.
- Holter monitoring evaluates heart rate and rhythm over hours or even days to detect abnormalities that might not show up during a shorter EKG.
- Pulmonary function testing measures the flow and volume of air during normal and rapid breathing, and can show how oxygen is getting into your blood and through your body. This is helping in diagnosing asthma and emphysema.
- Overnight oximetry is a test done at home while you are sleeping. A small sensor attached to your finger monitors blood oxygen levels while you sleep.
- Arterial blood gasses (ABGs) is a test that looks at blood from an artery to see how efficient the lungs are at getting oxygen to the blood and eliminating carbon dioxide. This test is helpful in cases of smoke or carbon monoxide inhalation.
Patients suffering from asthma, emphysema and other lung diseases can benefit from medications and other therapeutic services. Our respiratory care practitioners regularly create inhalable breathing treatments, and counsel patients on measures to manage and prevent cardiopulmonary disorders.
Airway Management and Ventilation Support
Respiratory care practitioners provide airway and ventilation support to patients of all ages having trouble breathing on their own, This might include the use of a ventilator. Our state-of-the-art ventilators reduce discomfort as compared to earlier models and require less blood sampling to monitor changes in a patient's condition.